Indian shares for NRIs with steps

Modified on Fri, 12 Apr 2019 at 12:16 PM

Step-1: Open a bank account and get Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS) Approval

 The first step is to open one of the three bank accounts-non-resident external rupee (NRE) account, non-resident ordinary rupee (NRO) account or foreign currency non-resident account (FCNR)-with a designated bank branch.  You will also need approval under the Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS) by the RBI, which allows you to invest in the Indian stock markets.  The PIS approval is given by the bank in which you have an NRE/NRO/FCNR account.  You can get in touch with our NRI desk to assist you in processing the PIS approval and the bank account. More on PIS is given under PIS head of NRI FAQs.

Step-2: Opening Trading and Demat Account

 You need to open the following accounts:

  • Trading Account: This is for placing buy/sell orders. You can open your account with Arihant. We are a SEBI registered stock broker with leading stock exchanges of India. At Arihant, we will offer you wide array of financial products with complete research support.
  • Demat Account: This will hold your stocks and securities. You can open your account with ARIHANT. We are a SEBI registered Depository Participant (DP) with NSDL (National Securities Depository Ltd.) and CDSL (Central Depository Services of India Ltd).

Step-3: Now make your investment or start trading online

  1. Place, view, modify or cancel your orders anytime you want.
     Once a trade is executed, transfer fund/securities from your bank account/depository account to our beneficiary account. We will settle your trades with clearing corporation on the settlement day and your accounts would be deposited with fund if you sold stocks or with the securities if bought.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article